Your old bathroom vanity is beginning to look worn. It’s got scratches and other marks on it. Definitely time for a new one. The good news is that installing a new sink and vanity is not really that hard. Here are the steps to follow:
Removing the old vanity and sink.
- The first thing you need to do is turn off the water. Then loosen the plastic slip nut at the top of the P-trap underneath the sink. The next step is to disconnect the water lines.
- Using a utility knife, you want to cut the sealant that runs along the top of the backsplash. Then pull on the sink to disconnect it from the wall.
- Take the sink off of the vanity. Some sinks are attached with screws, others are glued on. If yours is glued on, you can get it off with a hammer and chisel.
- To take out the vanity, you first have to remove the screws at the back that attach it to the wall.
Putting in the new vanity.
- The first thing to do is mark the outline of the new vanity with a pencil along the wall. To make things easier, get a new vanity with the same dimensions as the old one. Mark wall studs using a stud finder. In most vanities, the back is open. If it is not, you are going to have to cut holes in the back for the pipes. Measure how far it is from the wall to the pipes.
- Put in the new vanity, lining it up with your marks on the wall. To make the installation easier, you can take out the drawers and the doors first. Check to make sure that it is level.
- Drill a pilot hole through the back of the vanity into the wall. Do this into a stud to make sure it is a firm attachment. If you cannot line it up with a stud, use a wall anchor. Then attach the vanity with a screw.
Putting in the sink.
- Put the faucet and drain together and attach them to the sink before you put the sink on the vanity.
- Lay down a thin line of silicone adhesive around the top edge of the vanity.
- Working with a helper, put the sink on top of the vanity, making sure that the pipes are aligned. Allow the adhesive to dry.
- Reconnect the drain. If the drain pipe on the new sink is too long, you can cut it with a hacksaw. If it is too short, you can find extensions at the hardware store.
- Reattach the water lines.