It is not always easy to find a good plumber. There are plenty of them listed in the telephone book, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are good.
So, the best way to handle shoddy work is to prevent it from happening in the first place. That means hiring a reputable plumber.
When talking to a plumber, there are several questions you need to ask him:
- Are you licensed?
An unlicensed plumber is unlikely to have insurance or much knowledge of plumbing. Plumbers have to meet certain educational and experience requirements in order to get licensed.
- How long have you been in business?
Obviously, the more experience he has, the better.
- Can you provide references?
It is important to check with people who have used the plumber in the past to find out if they are satisfied with the work.
- Are you insured?
A reputable plumber will be insured – and you will know that if a problem occurs, it will be covered.
- Do you guarantee your work?
Pretty self-explanatory. You certainly want someone who is going to stand behind his work.
- Do you belong to any trade organizations?
This is important because these organizations have codes of practice that their members must follow. Also, if the plumber cannot finish the job for some reason, another member of the organization will complete the job.
Also, to be sure, check with the organization to verify that the plumber is indeed a member.
So, you have taken all these precautions, but you still end up with shoddy work. What can you do?
- First, talk to the plumber and tell him about the problems you are having. If he is a reputable plumber, he will take care of the problem at no extra cost.
- If you encounter resistance, your next course of action would be to contact any trade organizations that the plumber may belong to. It is their job to find a solution to problems like these.
- Finally, if you encounter a really stubborn plumber who refuses to take care of the problem, you can take him to court. For most plumbing work, small claims court is the place to go. The charge to file a claim is minimal. (When going to court, you want to make sure you save all records related to the work and bring pictures of the project as well.)
If you need experienced, licensed, insured, and trustworthy plumbers, call Plumbing Dynamics. You can reach us at 214-929-3431.